was born in 1815 at Mountainsville,Hunterdon Co.,NJ, the son of John Philhower, also of Hunterdon Co.,NJ. Frederick married in New Jersey, Elisabeth Jean Frone, the daughter of Conrad and Catharine(Gadschalk) Frone, of the Schooley Mountian's area of Morris County,New Jersey.
The book, Early Germans of New Jersey, by Theodore Chambers, notes that Frederick, "m. a Frohn (dau. of Conrad) and went west."
West at that time was apparently anywhere away from New Jersey, this is certainly the case for Frederick as he removed to Livingston County, New York
shortly after his marriage. Lloyd Moose wrote in his history of the Story Road in 1932. "The oldest blacksmith shop in the section of the town of Springwater was the shop of Old Fred Philhower.
It stood on his farm known in the later years as the Little Abe Swarts farm, about a mile and a half southwest of Liberty Pole Road and a half mile east of the Story Road(Springwater-Sparta Townline Road).
Here he was engaged in blacksmithing about 80 years ago(since about 1850).
About 65 years ago(about 1868) he sold the farm and moved to Conesus Center and followed the same trade."
Frederick and his wife both died about 1900 in Conesus.